For this project I will be combining some of the design skills that I have previously learnt and used in past projects and combine it with new skill that I have been learning at university such as HTML, CSS and PHP. By doing this I will be able to create a fully functionally website. However it will also create a different view on how I look at designing, as there are some limitation that are created by designing for web. Some of theses are file size (bigger the file the longer to download image preview), screen size (not all users will have the same size screen or be using the same device) and typeface (not every computer will have the typeface installed).
For this project I will be in a team of 3 which is not known at this current moment in time. With-in the team there will be 3 major jobs which will be spilt up between the team, these jobs are as follows;
- PHP Coding – This job will involve coding all of the complex parts of the website such as the user posting, login and database. This is important to the website as it always to users to interact and build/grow the website.
- Designer – This job will involve not only creating the designs for the site but also putting it together using HTML and CSS to create a site ready to be programmed with PHP.
- Project Manager – This job will involve planning out the entire project and processes need to create the final product, this will range from time management, meeting and time taking, assets and organisation for the whole team to easily use.
By combining this jobs together I hope to create one final big website which can do a few components which will be generic to most websites as what the site will be about will not be determined into the team is formed. These key components will be;
- User interactive – Allowing the users to create a live breathing website as the users are what makes the site grow. This will be done by creating a system which allows the users to post.
- Login system – This will be important to the user interaction as it will mean people can save their details and constantly edit and update their posts.
This project will be using a number of tools and techniques which are currently being used with-in the industry today. By using theses tools and techniques it will pair me and the team to use the tools to the maximum use before using them in the industry putting us ahead of the curve. These tools will also help us work as a team and some of the tools will be assets management and project management. Theses tools and techniques are as follows;
- Commenting Code – This will allow the team to quickly look at the code and work out what each part of code is, meaning each member can quickly and easily fix/change is and when needed.
- GIT – GIT is an online platform which allows teams and groups to create and develop code together as it allows the code to be saved to the platform and coder versions so any member can constantly access the new code and at time to make changes.
Whilst using the industry standard tools and techniques it is also a good time to play around and learn some alternative open source software. “Open source software is software that can be freely used, changed, and shared (in modified or unmodified form) by anyone” (opensource.org/). Learning this software will be good as it will show me other software which can be used as a replacement to expensive software, for example instead of using Adobe suit there are free open source software to replace such as Gimp (Photoshop), inscape (Illustrator), Brackets (Dreamweaver). Wiki, “A wiki is an application, typically a web application, which allows collaborative modification, extension, or deletion of its content and structure. In a typical wiki, text is written using a simplified markup language (known as “wiki markup”) or a rich-text editor. While a wiki is a type of content management system, it differs from a blog or most other such systems in that the content is created without any defined owner or leader, and wikis have little implicit structure, allowing structure to emerge according to the needs of the users.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki)